Pole Moor Baptist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
The minister of Salendine Nook preached in Slaithwaite 1785 at a house of one of his members. A congregation was established in 1787 from Salendine Nook using a room at the 'Silent Woman' Inn in Slaithwaite.
The congregation hoped to build a chapel in Slaithwaite in 1788 but the Earl of Dartmouth refused to sell them any land.
Around 1788 they acquired some waste land at Pole Moor in Scammonden township and a chapel was built at Pole Gate 1789-1790. A Sunday School was built near to the chapel in 1836. Between 1858-1859 a new chapel was built onto the old one and from 1859 the old chapel was used as a Sunday School.
They closed in 1992 and the buildings were converted into flats in 2000-2001.
Records relating to this church can be found at WYAS: Kirklees under reference number KC1034.