Hospitals in Leeds
Leeds General Infirmary
Founded 1761 at the house of Mr Andrew Wilson in Kirkgate. In 1771 new building opened in Infirmary Street, extended 1782 & 1792. In 1868 new infirmary (Sir Gilbert Scott/Florence Nightingale) on Great George Street, extended 1879, 1885 and 1891 (George Corson). In 1940 Brotherton Wing opened, 1960s Martin & Wellcome Wings added, 1980s Clarendon Wing and in 1998 the Jubilee Building.
St James’s Hospital (Leeds Union Workhouse)
1848 Leeds Moral and Industrial Training School built in Beckett Street, Burmantofts (now Lincoln Wing of St James’s). 1858-61 new workhouse built in Beckett Street including infirmary (Ashley Wing, now Thackray Medical Museum). 1872-4 new infirmary built adjoining workhouse in Beckett Street (site of present day Gledhow Wing). 1879 infirmary separated from workhouse and became first poor law infirmary outside London to be administered as independent unit. 1915 workhouse and infirmary handed to War Office for the care of sick and wounded servicemen. Known as East Leeds War Hospital. Workhouse inmates transferred to Hunslet workhouse. 1925 renamed St James’s. 1960s-1970s construction of Gledhow Wing, Chancellor Wing and Beckett Wing. 1970 granted university hospital status.
Hospital for Women at Leeds Founded 1853 for women and children; childrens’ treatment later moved to LGI. Moved to Coventry Place site in 1860, originally a private house. Included small maternity unit for short period. Buildings extended several times; main hospital completed 1903.
Maternity Hospital at Leeds
Opened 1905 in Caldedonian Road. Hospital on Hyde Terrace site opened 1908, gradually extended via purchase of neighbouring buildings.
Leeds Lying-in Hospital
Leeds (University) Dental Hospital
Originally opposite LGI at Tonbridge Street, Blundell Street and Back Blundell Street. Established 1905, new buildings 1928, extended 1952. Now part of Worsley Building on Leeds University campus, jointly funded by NHS and the University.
Chapel Allerton Hospital
Opened May 1927 as rehabilitation hospital for wounded of World War 1 by Ministry of Pensions. Built within grounds of Gledhow Grove mansion on Harehills Lane. House also used as part of hospital (1830s by John Clarke for John Hives, listed grade II). 1940 8 new EMS wards added. 1953 responsibility passed to Ministry of Health. April 1960 administration passed to Leeds Regional Hospital Board. 1975 Newton Green Wing opened on opposite side of Harehills Lane on land originally purchased by Jewish Board of Management for new Jewish Herzl Moser Hospital. 1994 new hospital opened, extension to Newton Green Wing. Old hospital subsequently demolished and mansion converted to housing.
Jewish Herzl Moser Hospital
Originally known as ‘Theodor Herzl Memorial Home’, opened 1905 in Leopold Street. Plans to build new hospital on Newton Green Hall estate prevented by outbreak of 2nd World War. This site was subsequently developed as the Newton Green wing of Chapel Allerton hospital.
Cookridge Hospital (Hospital for the Convalescent Poor in Leeds)
Opened in 1869, Cookridge was designed as a convalescent hospital, principally to take patients from Leeds General Infirmary. Its construction was made possible largely through the generosity of John Metcalfe Smith, of Beckett's Bank in Leeds. Patients admitted on the recommendation of a donor or subscriber. The LGI also paid a subscription and could send patients. New Edward Jackson Memorial Wing added 1894. Site leased to maternity hospital 1939. Lease taken over by Leeds Corporation in 1942 and hospital re-opened as Cookridge Hospital in 1943. Hospital sold to Leeds Hospital Board in 1952. The Metcalfe Smith Convalescence Trust then established a convalescent home in Harrogate which closed in 1967. Adjacent to Ida & Robert Arthington Hospital.
St Mary’s Hospital (Bramley Union Workhouse)
Bramley Union workhouse opened 1870 at Green Hill Lane, Hill Top, Armley, extensions 1870, 1895 and 1904. Maternity work begun in 1918. Re-named St Mary’s on abolition of poor law Boards of Guardians, 1929. 1934 transferred to control of Corporation’s Health Committee as municipal hospital. New maternity unit opened 1944.
Ida & Robert Arthington Hospital
Built 1888 as pre-convalescent unit for LGI and the Hospital for Women. Extended 1904. Built adjacent to Hospital for the Convalescent Poor (Cookridge Hospital).
Leeds City Hospitals
See Seacroft and Killingbeck.
Seacroft Hospital (Manston Infectious Diseases Hospital)
1893 Manston Hall estate on York/Tadcaster Road used for temporary wooden huts to accommodate patients during smallpox outbreak. 1898 Manston Infectious Diseases Hospital opened 1898, cottages in the grounds used for quarantining infectious patients. 1904 new Fever Hospital buildings opened alongside Killingbeck (“Leeds City Hospitals”). During the 1st World War, Seacroft was used as a base for emergency medical services, but returned to public use as an isolation hospital treating fever and diphtheria in 1919. Used as military hospital during 2nd World War. 1951 becomes a childrens hospital. 1959 takes in adult respiratory cases. Extended 1989, 1991 and 1994. Latterly Seacroft has provided an acute and elderly medicine service.
Killingbeck was planned in 1899 as an annexe to Seacroft for infectious diseases, particularly smallpox. Built in the grounds of the mansion of Killingbeck Hall. 1900-1903 temporary wooden and iron pavilions erected for smallpox patients. Permanent wards opened 1904 in the same year as Seacroft Hospital on the opposite side of York Road. Used as an annexe to Seacroft until 1912 becomes Tuberculosis sanatorium, linked to Gateforth Sanatorium near Selby. A small temporary hospital erected in the grounds for smallpox patients. This was demolished in 1954. Used as military hospital during 1st World War, returned to public use in 1919. 1936 new sanatorium for women opened. During 2nd World War used to treat infectious diseases, resuming its role as a sanatorium in 1946. 1950s as the number of TB cases reduced, the hospital took on other thoracic and later cardiac cases. 1970s controversial demolition of the nurses’ accommodation and offices in Killingbeck Hall. 1989 first heart transplant carried out in Leeds. 1997 hospital closed, patients transferred to LGI.
Leeds Sanatorium for Consumptives/Gateforth Sanatorium
Residential manor (dating from c1810) leased by Leeds Association for the Prevention and Cure of Tuberculosis. Opened September 1901. Leeds Corporation acquired the site in 1921. Took male patients only up to 1959. Managed by Leeds (B) Group, although situated in Selby RDC district.
Marguerite Hepton Children’s Orthopaedic Hospital
Situated 1½ miles east of Boston Spa. Used as long stay child orthopaedic hospital, although originally intended primarily for tubercular conditions.
St George’s, Rothwell (Hunslet Union Workhouse)
Wood Lane, Rothwell Haigh. Built as Hunslet Union Workhouse 1903. Transferred to Leeds Corporation 1929 and re-named St George’s. Used for the chronic sick until 1948, thereafter as a pre-convalescent hospital. Closed c1990.
The Haigh Hospital (Rothwell, Methley and Hunslet Joint Isolation Hospital)
1902 built as fever hospital under the control of Rothwell UDC but received no patients. 1949-1951 used as temporary accommodation for Oulton Hall (mental health) patients. 1952 became annexe to St George’s for geriatric patients.
Leeds Public Dispensary
Established 1824. 1866/7 on junction of Vicar Lane and New Briggate (later Leeds Chest Clinic). New building on Hartley Hill/Back Brunswick Street opened in 1904 (plans approved 13 June 1902 no.45). Latterly used as out patients clinic for St James’s. See article in Thoresby Society LIV pt.2 (1974)
Leeds Eye Dispensary
Established 1821 in St Peter’s Square. See article in Thoresby Society LIV pt.2 (1974)
Leeds Chest Clinic/City of Leeds Health Clinic
On Vicar Lane/New Briggate site formerly occupied by Leeds Public Dispensary. Purchased by Leeds Corporation 1904. Building Grade II listed. Closure expected.
Meanwood Park Colony/Hospital
Psychiatric hospital. Meanwood Hall estate purchased by Leeds Corporation in 1919. Hospital opened 1920 in existing buildings with alterations (25 March 1919 no.26), extended 1930s (24 Feb 1931 no.15). See D.A.Spencer Meanwood Park Hospital, Leeds: A History (1982) on Porton D4. Now headquarters of Leeds Mental Health NHS Trust, Tongue Lane, Meanwood.
Female annexe to Meanwood Park Hospital, Spen Lane, Leeds.
Leeds House of Recovery
Established after epidemic of 1801-2 by public subscription as hospital for infectious diseases on Vicar Lane. Opened 1804. 1846 moved to Beckett Street, Burmantofts. 1885 purchased by Leeds Corporation. Funds from the purchase used to found convalescent home near Gildersome from 1886, closed c1905 and funds divided between LGI, Public Dispensary, the Women and Children’s Hospital and the Leeds Tuberculosis Association. Beckett Street site demolished for housing following building of Seacroft hospital. See article by S.T. Anning Leeds House of Recovery Porton C Box 1/5.
Children’s sanatorium, Weetwood Lane.
Infants Hospital, Wyther/Wyther Hostel for Mothers and Babies
Armley Ridge Road.
Bishop Cowgill House, Houghley Lane.
Wharfedale General Hospital/Otley County Hospital
Opened as Wharfedale Union workhouse on Newall Carr Road, Otley, in 1873. New Infirmary added 1907. Re-named Otley County Hospital 1930 and transferred to West Riding County Council control. Used for evacuees from Leeds hospitals during 2nd World War. 1948-1974 under management of Otley & Ilkley Hospitals Management Committee. Re-named Wharfedale General ?1948. Extended 1956/7. 1960s-1970s plans for new hospital on site of Wharfedale Children’s Hospital at Menston are thwarted by NHS reorganisation. 2004 new hospital built on same site and parts of old building demolished. Workhouse buildings listed grade II.
Wharfedale Lawn/Wharfe Grange Hospital (Wetherby Union Workhouse)
Wetherby Union workhouse built 1863 on Linton Road, Wetherby, extended 1896. Infirmary added 1906/7. Re-named Wharfedale Lawn Hospital 1930 and transferred to West Riding County Council control. Re-named Wharfe Grange Hospital 1948. Closed 1993 and site redeveloped for housing.