H.M. Prison Wakefield
The House of Correction transferred to central government administration in 1878 and became Wakefield Prison. See Wakefield House of Correction .
Most prisoners were on remand until trial or held until the sentence was carried out. Prisoners awaiting transporation were held at Wakefield. See Transportation of Prisoners.
Prisoners from all over the West Riding were held at the House of Correction until 1847 when H.M Prison Armley, Leeds was established.
In 1936 New Hall Camp Detention Centre was established as an extension of Wakefield Prison, this closed in 1959. It opened again in 1987 as a womens prison.
Some records survive for the early period of the prison (ref: C118). Registers of Prisoners survive from 1801-1808, 1842, 1843,1879 - 1991. There are also registers for debtors, 1847-1849, military prisoners 1871-1875 and Wakefield Reformatory School later St John's Reformatory School.
Restricted Access on some collections.