Gomersal Grove Congregational Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
A brick chapel built by the Taylor family of Red House was used occasionally in the early 1800s for preaching by Congregationalists.
Congregational services were also sometimes held during the same period in the music gallery at Pollard Hall in Gomersal (the home of James Burnley, a deacon at Heckmondwike Upper Independent Church).
A chapel was built in Oxford Road under the leadership of James Burnley 1825-1826 and opened in 1826.
A congregation was established in 1826 from Cleckheaton and Heckmondwike.
A Sunday School was built behind the chapel c1828 and was paid for by James Burnley.
The Sunday School was enlarged in 1876 and the chapel in 1882.
The church is still in existence in 2009 and is called the United Reformed Church, Grove, Gomersal.
Records relating to this church can be found at WYAS: Kirklees under the reference numbers KC948, KC952.