Golcar Providence New Connexion Church

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and is currently unavailable. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Also known as Golcar Providence Methodist Church.

Established from Wellhouse Methodist New Connexion Church, Golcar in 1876.

A Sunday School was established in 1876 using Golcar Town School in Knowl Bank.

A chapel was built in Knowl Bank in 1878 and opened in 1879; this road was later known as Knowl Road.

A new chapel was built next door to the old one 1883-1884 and opened in 1885 with the old chapel being used as a Sunday School from 1884.

Around 1974 the Sunday School was sold for use as business promises. The chapel was altered in 1973-1975 by putting a floor at gallery level; the upper floor was used for services from 1973, lower floor for Sunday School from 1975.

The church is still in existence in 2009.

Records relating to this church can be found at West Yorkshire Archive Service: Kirklees under the reference number WYK205.