Gatehead Primitive Methodist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Established in the early 1800's, using various houses at Oxlee, Upper Nab, Lower Nab, Barnside and Upper Millshaw.William Taylor, a Primitive Methodist preacher, preached in a schoolroom at Hepworth in 1820, it may have been the Endowed School in Town Gate, founded in 1649 and rebuilt in 1753. John Hinchliffe's house at Barnside was licensed for use as a dissenting meeting house in 1825 and a chapel was built in Gate Head lane in 1836. A Sunday School room in the chapel was extended in c1857 - 1862 and the chapel enlarged in 1886. The Sunday School was built opposite Gate Head Lane at the corner with Sheffield Road between 1931 - 1932. The Sunday School was then converted for use as a chapel and hall in 1971 with the old chapel being sold the same year and converted into a house. The chapel was still in existence in 2000.