Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist Church, Linthwaite

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and is currently unavailable. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

The church was established c1798 using the top storey of Mr Mellor's cottage at Lane Top.

A chapel was built at the corner of Stones Lane and Waingate at Lower Clough c1806-1810 and opened in 1810.

A Sunday School was established in 1813 and in 1822 a Sunday School was built next door to the chapel in Stones Lane.

Between 1866-1867 a new chapel was built at the corner of Pole Hill (later called Chapel Hill) and Waingate; it was built at the expense of George Mallinson, a local woollen manufacturer and the Sunday School was rebuilt in 1873.

By the 1890s the old chapel was demolished.

An Assembly Hall was built next door to the Sunday School in Stones Lane in 1899 and opened in 1900; it was also known as the Wesleyan Assembly Rooms.

The congregation used the Assembly Hall for worship from 1991; it was refurbished for use as a church and Sunday School.

In 1991 the chapel was sold for use as a workshop.

The church is still in existence in 2009.

NB This chapel is sometimes described as being at Hoylehouse.

Records relating to this church can be found at the West Yorkshire Archive Service: Kirklees office under the reference numbers KC808/2/13, WYK1261.