Deanhouse Wesleyan Methodist Church, Netherthong
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Later called Netherthong Wesley's Methodist Church.
Preachers in Birstall Methodist Circuit began holding services in Netherthong area c.1750.
House of John Hardy in Netherthong licensed for worship 1766.
Chapel built in Haigh Lane at Deanhouse 1769.
Methodists shared use of chapel with Independents for a period in early 1770s, each party preaching on alternate Sundays (this arrangement proved unsatisfactory and the Independents moved out and held their services in a cottage until they built Holmfirth Lane Independent Church in 1778).
John Wesley preached in chapel 1772 and 1773.
Sunday School established by 1815, using Town School in Miry Lane.
Chapel altered to form two storeys 1860-61; Sunday School used lower floor from 1861.
Meeting rooms added to chapel 1873-75.
Known as Netherthong Wesley's Methodist Church by 1940s.
Ceiling collapsed 1957.
Closed 1958; congregation joined Netherthong Zion Methodist Church.
Chapel later converted into a house.
Records relating to this chapel can be found at WYAS: Kirklees under the reference number NM/N.