Dawgreen Zoar Particular Baptist Church
The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.
Records relating to this church can be found at WYAS: Kirklees under reference number KC1049.
This church was established by members who seceded from Staincliffe in 1846 under the leadership of Robert Carr who had been the pastor at South Ossett Baptist Church 1840-1845 and who had then joined Staincliffe in 1845.
It is not known which premises in Dawgreen were used for worship between 1846-1851, though from 1851 the Temperance Hall in Princess Street, Dawgreen was used.
In August 1870 services were moved to Batley Carr Old School in Upper Road. Morning and afternoon services were held at Dawgreen and evening services at Batley Carr from October 1870.
Zoar chapel was built in Boothroyd Lane in 1874 and a Sunday School was established between 1876-1877.
The chapel closed c1950.