Cross Bank Wesleyan Methodist Church, Batley

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and is currently unavailable. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Was established in 1850s using William Hartley's house in Victoria Street. The congregation later used a room at Carlinghow Mills owned by John Nussey and then they later used James Joshua Carter's kitchen.

In 1866 they moved to a room over a shop in Cross Bank Road; this was known as the Upper Room.

Between 1868-1869 a Sunday School was built in Blakeridge Lane and between 1869-1871 a chapel was built next door at the junction of Blakeridge Lane and Cemetery Road. It was built entirely at the expense of the Brearley family, in memory of Robert Brearley, woollen manufacturer of Queen Street Mills.

In 1882 the Sunday School was enlarged.

In the 1970s the congregation joined with Hanover Street United Reformed Church to form a United Church using the Cross Bank premises.

The church closed in 1984 and the congregation joined the Central Methodist Church, Batley.