Clarence Mills, Cleckheaton

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and is currently unavailable. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Clarence Mills, situated just off Westgate in Cleckheaton, were built in about 1875. Their first occupant was William Blackburn who carried on a worsted spinning business there. This became a limited company in 1893. By this time William Blackburn was also using the adjacent and older Brook Mills. In 1899 William Blackburn and Company Limited's trustees sold Clarence Mills to William Stell of Keighley who sold it on in 1900 to Alfred Lund, a worsted spinner who had formerly been in business in Pudsey. From 1901 Clarence Mills and Brook Mills were two seperate concerns. In 1932 Lund Brothers sold Clarence Mills to John Mitton and Sons Limited, worsted spinners of Marshfield and Waterloo Mills in Bradford. John Mitton moved their businesses from Bradford to Cleckheaton. John Mitton & Sons Limited continued as worsted spinners to c1977 when they went out of business and sold Clarence Mills to a demolition contractor.

Deeds relating to this Mill can be found at WYAS Kirklees, collection reference KC558