Brunswick Street Free Wesleyan Church, Huddersfield

From Off the Record
Jump to: navigation, search
This is a backup copy of the West Yorkshire Archive Service's "Off the Record" wiki from 2015. The live went offline in 2016 and is currently unavailable. Editing and account creation are disabled.

The following source list was originally available only on paper in one of the West Yorkshire Archive Service offices. It may have been compiled many years ago and could be out of date. It was designed to act as a signpost to records of interest on a particular historical subject, but may relate only to one West Yorkshire district, or be an incomplete list of sources available. Please feel free to add or update with any additional information.

Later known as Brunswick Street United Methodist Free Church. Established by Wesleyan Reformers who secede from the Queen Street Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1857, the congregation used Philosophical Hall in Ramsden Street for worship between 1857 - 1859. A Sunday School was established in 1857 using rooms in Queen Street. It comprised of nearly all the scholars and teachers who had previously been at Queen Streets Sunday School in Fountain Street. A chapel was built in Brunswick Street in 1858 - 1859 and became part of the United methodist Free Church in 1866. With the congregation declining and structural defects found in the chapel building by the 1940's it was closed in 1949. The congregation joined Gledholt Methodist Church. The chapel building was demolished when Huddersfield Ring Road was built in the 1960's.